Thursday, March 11, 2010

Success beyond expectation!

Well isn't this a turn up for the books.  After many months of trying I have finally won an Iscorama 54.  Or rather more specifically, an Isco-Optic 16:9 Video Attachment with a 54mm rear optical port.  Not only that, the person I bought it from turns out to be a true gentleman, kindly giving much valuable advice.

Essentially, this would appear to be the perfect adaptor, in my view.  It has a 1.33x horiz squeeze (on account of it being intended to turn 4:3 to 16:9.  Of course this means that it turns a 16:9 native camera like the Lumix into a 2.35:1 device.  Perfect!  I didn't even know these existed.  It is optically wonderful.

You set the taking lens (FD Primes in my case) to infinite focus (or sometimes just under) and then focusing to your heart's content using the Isco's focus ring, which is smooth and controllable.  The adaptor even has a locking system to allow you to orientate the anamorphot so that it's correctly vertical.   That's really really useful.  No more messing around with tape on the ring threads to change the bite point, or using a star filter with the glass smashed out to give you rotational freedom.

Honestly, I couldn't be happier.  It's a heavy so and so, but sturdy and the camera/lens assembly deals with it well, though will probably get a rails/rod support system at some point.

But anyway, I'm a very happy bunny.  I just wish I had two cos I'm permanently paranoid about dropping it!  If you find one of these, get it.  No thought required.





No comments :

Post a Comment