Friday, March 5, 2010

trade. - A Splintersilk Film (our first short film)

 

"It can be great when you try to find your­self. It's a dif­fer­ent mat­ter when your­self comes look­ing for you. "



So here it is, our first short film.  Filmed on a couple of early mornings in my appartment building.  It came about as a result of a few things, including some visual iconography that I find disturbing but intriguing.  We tried to keep them subtle here - see if you can spot them.

I toyed with using a song called Choke by Hybrid as the audio, but despite loving the tune it really didn't work.  It was too upbeat defeated some of the narrative.  I ended up doing the sound design from scratch using the same tools I use for music.  Ended up being great fun, except one particular sound component kept scaring the crap out of me and found I had to work on it during the day hahah!  I know..  Very sad, but woefully true.

The first shot in the whole thing was conceived as a result of a good friend sending me youtube links in our hunt to validate lenses and cameras (in this case the Panasonic Lumix GH1 and Canon FD 135mm/f2.5 lens) as used to (I think) beautiful effect here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykYA7TUd8hk (go to 0:56)
In fact I used the same combination in the corresponding part of trade.

Anyway, enough blabber.  Hope you enjoy :)

3 comments :